Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Scotland's own Sex & The City girls reveal their shoe addictions

Meet the fashionistas who are head over heels in love - with shoes.

The average British woman owns 17 pairs and spends almost two-thirds of her life in heels, a survey revealed yesterday.

Almost half of women admit to buying shoes on impulse with seven in 10 admitting buying shoes they don't even wear.

Britons are "Cut-price Carries" as the typical spend on shoes is £34 - a far cry from the pricey Manolo Blahnik designs favoured by Sex And The City character Carrie Bradshaw.

It's true that for most women not a lot in life beats that buzz of snapping up some new killer heels.

Here three Scotswomen bare their souls about their weakness for footwear.

Gillian Brown: 50 pairs, buys a pair of shoes a week

Gillian Brown

Life coach Gillian Brown, 38, admits to buying four pairs of shoes in the last month.

Gillian, who lives in Edinburgh with her son Dylan, seven, says: "A girl can always find time to buy some new shoes.

"I even managed to snap up a new pair today after a business meeting. It was a great cure for the Monday morning blues. I thought I'd just pop in to New Look to see if they have any wedges.

"They were a cheap buy for my holidays and cost £25. I have the lot - flat shoes, trainers and designer heels. I keep my shoes in boxes and they're all lined up neatly spread out over three different wardrobes.

"The most expensive pair in my wardrobe are Armani shoes that I've worn once, which is not great for £195.

That's ridiculous isn't it? I bought them in the Armani shop when I was buying jeans.

"Shoes are the be all and end all. I'm only 5ft 3in and I wear a lot of heels as they finish an outfit off well and make me feel more confident. I'd lost a bit of weight and the shoes just went brilliantly with the jeans.

"They were an impulse purchase. It did feel a guilty pleasure as there was no need to buy them. It was just excess really. They're brown snakeskin leather with a red bow on the front and an in-built wedge. They're very high. They're good to stand in but not very functional on the cobbles in Edinburgh.

"My Converse old-style white trainer boots are another favourite. I got them for my birthday. They're easy to wear, comfy and look stylish, too. I shop a lot at Kurt Geiger and have a pair of navy blue big wedge platforms which are absolutely fantastic. They're so high I have only worn them three times but I love them. Shoes are my priority.

"I think shoes make a woman feel sexy. A nice pair of shoes go a long way. I'm definitely get on nice heels for Sex And The City 2."

Adele Cunningham: 83 pairs, buys a pair of shoes a week

Adele Cunningham

Radio Clyde DJ Adele Cunningham, 31, loves shoe shopping so much she was fined for extra baggage after returning from a holiday in the sun with seven new pairs.

And 5ft 7in Adele is a fan of killer heels so she can stand tall with her 6ft 6in boyfriend, Callum King, 25.

Adele says: "I'm insane about shoes and can shop for them anywhere.

"I had to pay an extra £60 coming back from holiday in Gran Canaria recently as my suitcase was loaded up with new shoes. It's shocking but all seven pairs are fabulous. I don't think I've worn any of them though.

"I find it very easy to buy at least a pair of new shoes a week and I know I'll have to eventually get this obsession under control. I don't have any room left in my wardrobe and I'm actually hiding shoes now so my boyfriend doesn't know how many pairs I have bought.

"The shoes Iove most I wore to my best friend Laura's wedding. I was her bridesmaid and she gave me them.

"It all started with a pair of pink plastic high heels that I used to wear when I was about three. I wouldn't leave the house without them. I was a shoe freak even then.

"They are all set out in my wardrobe. It's like I've got obsessive, compulsive disorder. The left shoe is always at the front and the right one is behind it. I look after my feet, too.

"Even if there was a fire in my house I'd have to rescue all my favourite shoes. I'd rather die in a fire than leave my shoes.

"The most expensive were sparkly, gold shoes from Ravel with ribbons which tied around your ankle. They were £200 and very uncomfortable."

Lynne Butler: 70 shoes, buys a pair of shoes a month

Lynne Butler

Prada shoes became a passion for Lynne Butler until she spotted the steep £235 price tag.

But the 30-year-old manager, who works at Silverburn shopping centre in Glasgow, still couldn't resist the designer heels despite knowing it was unlikely she'd wear them more than once. She wears heels to measure up to her 6ft 4in boyfriend, Ewan McKinness.

She says: "It felt like falling in love as they were quite spectacular shoes.

"I just had to have them but now I don't even wear them any more. I wore them once.They were black, heeled and open toed with a gorgeous clasp around the ankle. I bought them for an awards evening in London several years ago and they had a pencil-thin high heel which made it impossible to walk. I was dying to get them off at the end of the night. I still have them. I still look after them. I'm 5ft 6in but these shoes definitely added about three inches.

"My favourite shop for shoes is Kurt Geiger. I have gorgeous, over-the-knee suede flat boots which were £135 from there. I've worn them so often. They look great with skinny jeans and I think they'll never go out of fashion. I have a pair of suede ankle boots from Topshop which always make me feel great. I like the style of them.

"I've invested in a new pair of gladiator style gold shoes from Office. They'll be perfect for my holiday in Thailand.

"I wear a lot of black. But nice shoes with a print on them can add a bit of colour. I have a purple pair of heels from Office which give a splash of colour.

"My passion for shoes kicked off my career, too, as I started as a shoes buyer for Next. I still have a pair of studded heels which were given to me when I left Next.

I've actually never worn them as although they're gorgeous, I can never find anything to go with them. I still feel sentimental about them and I wouldn't want them to get dirty. They have pride of place in my wardrobe along with all the other shoes which are packed neatly in their boxes.

"Shoes give a new dimension to your look. Heels give you confidence. They're a way to instantly look more dressed up.

"They can change the look of a whole outfit. The higher the heel the longer your legs look and that has to be a good thing."

No comments:

Post a Comment