Thursday, May 27, 2010

Gyllenhaal: Life as a sex symbol

Gyllenhaal: Life as a sex symbol (Source: Close Up)

Jake Gyllenhaal

Of all the young actors Hollywood has to offer, none seem to receive more attention than Jake Gyllenhaal.

After critically acclaimed performances in roles as diverse as Donnie Darko and Brokeback Mountain, the actor is now swinging swords in the latest Jerry Bruckheimer blockbuster, Prince of Persia.

He and co-star Gemma Arteton talked to Close Up, revealing a few truths about the 29-year-old talent.

After being voted one of the sexiest men alive by multiple magazines, Gyllenhaal's sex symbol status has left him laughing.

"I got to be honest with you, I don't really talk about that much. I don't think people really realise what a tough job it is.

"I don't think they really realise how difficult it is to be so sexy (laughs), so no one really teases me about it. I think that people are just real really really sorry for me."

This sense of humour may have endeared him to fans and colleagues alike.

Bond Girl Arterton says the star is more playful than anything.

"He's such an idiot, he likes to mess about. He's funny and even though he's this movie star he plays around," she says.

Gyllenhaal is even happy to poke fun at his Oscar nominated turn in Brokeback Mountain.

"I think naturally when anything becomes the phenomenon that Brokeback Mountain did become, at the time it's just necessary to have a sense of humour.

"It was a serious subject that we tackled in the movie, and I've talked to many people over the years how much it has affected their lives and I think ultimately everybody has different opinions.

"It's always good to have a laugh and make fun of things all the time you know, and I don't think its necessary to take yourself so seriously," he says.

Of his Oscar nomination he remains philosophical.

"All these people say either you get the Oscar or you don't get the Oscar, its over at the end of the night.

"It's hard to enjoy those times sometimes because you are so overwhelmed by everything that coming at you."

Prince of Persia is set for release in New Zealand cinemas tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment